Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Today is the first day of Lent

Today is the first day of Lent. Although I was raised Christian. My mom has always made a HUGE deal during Lent. We (well mostly them now that we have Hannah. Mike and I have turned into a old married couple) party it up on FAT TUESDAY  but as Lent approaches trust me you will hear
"What are you giving up for Lent?" You know Lent starts next week..What are you giving up?"

Bless her heart, she means well but there hasn't been a Lent that we haven't participated in.

This year I have decided to give up sweets...aka my lifeline.

NO CANDY, NO SWEETS, NO COOKIES, NO OREO'S, NO DESSERTS.... YIKES

For all that know me, know that I can basically live on sweets. BUT hey isn't that what Lent is all about.

We prepare for Easter by giving something up in an attempt to share in Christ’s suffering and become closer to God. 

Let's just be honest. He DIED/was CRUCIFIED (just the word crucified makes me cringe...and want to get down on my hands and knees and thank GOD for loving me enough...OK let me stop before I go to church on here) on the cross for our sins. The very least I can do is give up dessert/sweet for 40 days.

When I do get a craving for my sweets, I will think of all that Christ has done for me. And spend that time in prayer. This is also a time to really self check myself and make sure I am making, saying, doing Christ-Like actions and LORD take control of my mouth. Hey we all fall short of the glory of God, I'm the first to admit it. Thankfully we serve a God who is full of GRACE and LOVE.


It’s really important to me that I teach Hannah the meaning behind the actions we do as Christians. I really hope she will also find it important in her heart to participate in Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment