Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thankful


With Thanksgiving approaching us, I like to remind myself to be thankful for the little things in life. Sometimes we (READ: I ) forget to stop and look at how my life is truly blessed (in a non-financial materialistic way) I always thought it was cheesy when people said “I am rich with blessings” The older I get the more I realize how much that statement applies to my life.

What does Thankful mean?


Definition:

thank•ful
adjective \ˈthaŋk-fəl\
: glad that something has happened or not happened, that something or someone exists, etc.
: of, relating to, or expressing thanks


What the bible says about being thankful

1 Thessalonians 5:18 ESV / 983 helpful votes
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.



Me: Give thanks in ALL situations? How is that EVEN possible? How do I give thanks when my three year refuses to go to sleep, or when my dog chews up my new UGGS, or when I get a rude email at work?
After thinking about this, I realized I’m asking the wrong question. It’s not HOW we give thanks it’s WHY we give thanks. You give thanks in ALL situations BECAUSE it’s the will of God. It’s almost like that Parent/Child relationship. We do it because our FATHER said so.


Colossians 3:15-17 ESV / 465 helpful votes
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.


This has always been one of my favorite verses. Going to a Christian school we had to learn a bible verse every week. I remember memorizing this verse. My first thought was why is this verse so dang long, Gesh, I’ll never memorize this in chapel. Yep, I was that kid, memorizing her bible verse during chapel instead of listening. It’s amazing that I still remember this. BUT this verse is so good. “Let the PEACE of CHRIST” rule in your hearts.
I don’t know about you but sometimes “letting” the peace of Christ rule in my heart is just plain hard sometimes. I am a worrier. M always says I find things to worry about. Why do we do that to ourselves? Why can’t we just be at peace? For the love of Pete, God is in control… He’s got this.
Ok, I’ll get off the pool pit and continue with what I really meant this post to be about.

What I am thankful for:

1. I am thankful that I can be born again Christian, go to church, carry a bible, and not be persecuted for it. Not everyone can do that
2. I am thankful for my hard working, faithful hunk of burning love husband.
3. I am thankful for my sassy, strong willed, beautiful healthy threenager.
4. I am thankful for my job.
5. I am thankful for my AR friends; they truly have made AR our home.
And I’m slightly (extremely) thankful for: wine, running groups, Oreo’s and the fact that my co-workers pretend not to see my playing on the internet at work.


What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment