Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Preparing myself for Easter. Lent.


Lent has always been very special to me and my family. My parents always encouraged us to give something up.

Each year I think “Oh I’ll give up sweets” I can afford to lose a few pounds. This year I thought the same thing but a little guilt set in. Where are my motives? Where is the dedication in that sacrifice?

Am I alone here? Does anyone else give up something selfishly? Or give up Soda and it’s been 14 years since they’ve had a soda.

A friend of mine posted this on FB. And she nailed it on the head.


This will be the only thing I say about Lent...this year. Lent is not a season of sacrifice, lent is a season of preparation. As Christians, we pattern the season of Lent after the 40 days that Jesus spent in the wilderness. It was the 40 days that led up to His crucifixion. Jesus didn't give up food just to give up eating. He gave up eating to give more time to study the Scriptures to better PREPARE for the next phase of his ministry. So as we embark on this Lenten season, don't simply see it as a call to "give up" something, but use these 40 days to prepare yourself for the next leg of your ministry (ie. life). Ask yourself the question: Will this sacrifice better prepare me for what God's called me to do or am I doing this for show? Will it give me time to seek out what's being called of me or will I just fill that time with another thing? I pray you all success in your season of preparation! ‪#‎happylenting‬ ‪#‎notjustsacrifice‬ ‪#‎itsoktoeatfriedfoods‬ ‪#‎everythinginmoderation‬ ‪#‎noyourenotsupposedtotell


Right… all aboard the conviction train.


So this year for lent, I am:

No cursing. Clean up my sailor mouth (it’s well overdue)
Do one good deed a day
Be more diligent about saying my prayers at night
Sweets. Because let’s be honest it is a sacrifice for my not to eat sweets for 40 days.

What about you? Do you give up anything for Lent?

1 comment:

  1. This year S and I decided to forego giving up things. Instead, we are trying really hard to focus on being *better*. Better spouses, better parents, better Christians. We're taking time to say more heart-felt, meaningful prayers at the end of the day, we're putting down our devices (phones, iPads, computers) and spending more time doing fun things with M. And, I'm hoping to make it to a weekday mass once a week, as well as making time to volunteer.
    Happy Lenten Season!

    ReplyDelete